A Greener Waterton
At the Waterton Park Hotel we are set in the centre of the worlds first nature reserve and we recognise our environmental responsibility and are committed to working towards a more sustainable future.
- Over 50% of our bedrooms have separate walk in showers
- We bottle our own water for events held at the hotel
- We have dual flush toilets
- Sensors have been installed in some of the public toilets
- All lighting has been changed to LED
- Movement sensors on corridors
- Energy savers in 70% of bedrooms
- Solar Panels generating electricity for Walton Hall
Our chambermaids set the radiators to setting 2 in all rooms, guests can then adjust these accordingly.
Geo thermal Heating
A unique system with well over 5 miles of pipes have been sunk into Walton Hall’s 26 acre lake which now provides all the heating and hot water for all the facilities in Walton Hall, leisure, bedrooms , meeting rooms, restaurant and kitchen. The result of this huge investment has negated our use of oil.
- Wakefield Hospice is our main charitable concern, with monthly donations from the company, guests also have the option to make a small donation by adding a fixed amount to their invoice
- We are the main sponsers of The Walton Arts Festival, who recently held an afternoons entertainment of ‘Shakespear on the Lawns’ at the Hall.
- We are part of the Walton Library sponsorship, the Library was recently closed by the local council and is now run by volunteers
- Old furniture from refurbished rooms is donated to The Hospice for resale
- We work with many local schools and colleges providing support and student mentoring
- All our glass, cardboard, batteries, paper and ink cartridges are recycled
- 80/ 85% of all our general waste is also recycled
- We recycle our grass cuttings and coffee filters for our own compost
- We use local suppliers for the majority of our services
- Many food suppliers are located within a 20 mile radius of the hotel
- The ‘Duck Island’ guest amenities in the bedrooms are eco friendly and bottles recyclable
- The toilet paper we use supports the planting of trees through The Woodland Trust
How you can help
- We invite all guests staying for more than one night to indicate if they wish to reuse towels
- Your old newspapers can be separated for recycling
- Leave any old batteries with reception for recycling
- Please switch off bedroom lights and appliances when you leave the room
- Travel to the hotel, our nearest train station is Wakefield Westgate(travel link)
- Opt in to donate to Wakefield Hospice on your invoice
- We always welcome any suggestions or ideas from all our guests